Easter Treats are toxic for dogs gwenschoice2.co.uk

Most dog owners know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, as are grapes and their dry counterparts raisins, sultanas, and currants too, but how much is too much? Can a pooch not have just a little Easter treat? 

Sorry, but ignore those puppy dog eyes! To avoid a visit to the vets this Easter do not feed chocolate or hot cross buns to your dog, and this is why…

Chocolate contains two substances which are toxic to dogs, theobromine, and caffeine.  The concentration of these substances varies with the type of chocolate; white chocolate contains only a little, milk chocolate contains moderate amounts and dark chocolate contains very high concentrations, which means a small amount of dark chocolate can cause severe toxicity, especially in a small breed dog. 

If your dog eats chocolate contact your vet immediately for advice.  You will need to tell them how much chocolate was ingested, when it was eaten and an estimate of your dogs’ weight.  This information will help your vet to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested. 

Clinical signs of chocolate toxicity can develop within a few hours, so time is of the essence.  Clinical signs include vomiting and diarrhoea, increased thirst, restlessness, increased heart rate, tremors, and convulsions.   

Treatment can include administering an injection at the veterinary surgery to induce your dog to vomit as well as giving gastroprotective drugs, intravenous fluids and in severe cases sedatives and anti-convulsant may be required

Recovery from chocolate toxicity is generally good, especially if early treatment is sought, but more guarded if severe clinical signs develop or pre-existing heart disease is present.

So, what about those scrummy hot cross buns? Surely there’s no harm in sharing just a little bit, right? No, not one bite! 

Grapes and their dry counterparts can be particularly toxic to dogs, causing kidney damage if toxic amounts are ingested.  Unfortunately, what accounts as a toxic amount is unknown, with some dogs becoming poorly after ingesting only a small amount whilst others seem less sensitive, regardless of size of dog or amount ingested.

If you think your dog has eaten any grapes, raisins, sultanas, or currants get in touch with your vet as soon as possible.  Treatment may include administering an injection at the veterinary surgery to induce vomiting as well as gastroprotective drugs, intravenous fluids, and close monitoring of kidney function.  Prognosis is good if prompt action is taken but more guarded once clinical signs such as vomiting and diarrhoea, lethargy and anorexia have developed.

If your dog has ingested any toxic substance, please do not be tempted to “wait and see” or try to make them vomit at home.  Contact your vet as soon as possible for advice.

Keep your dog safe this Easter and only give appropriate dog treats. Why not visit https://www.gwenschoice.co.uk/dog-food/dog-treats/ to purchase tasty, 100% natural doggy treats today

Similar Posts